Or fill out this online form and use PayPal
University Plaza Hotel
333 S John Q Hammons Pkwy
Springfield, MO 65806
Experienced Beekeeping Instruction
Beginning Friday, 12:30 pm thru Saturday 3:30 pm
Dr. Meghan Milbrath, Michigan State University works in Zachary Huang’s honeybee lab. She owns and manages The Sand Hill Farm, a small livestock and queen rearing operation in Munith, Michigan. She is the coordinator of the Michigan Pollinator initiative and teaches in multiple venues.
Erin MacGregor-Forbes is past-president and member of the Maine State Beekeepers Association and an EAS Master Beekeeper, as well as Chairman of the Eastern Apiculture Society. She co-owns Overland Apiaries which is a small, sustainable, non-migratory beekeeping operation based in Jefferson and Portland, Maine.
Topics: Sustainable late-season nucs; Small-scale queen rearing; Towards treatment-free with Varroa Management
So You Wanna be a Beekeeper
Friday 12:30 – 4:30
A series of classes designed for people exploring beginning beekeeping taught by area club presidents and leaders. There will be opportunities to sign up for 2018 Beginning Beekeeping Classes with area clubs.
Saturday Breakout Session announced soon!
Conference Questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotels do not rent meeting space directly. They make organizations like MSBA guarantee we purchase all our food from them as well as lodging with a specific number of rooms and meals guaranteed. This is what drives the price of registration that MSBA sets. It is therefore difficult to separate the price of meals from the registration fee. All people attending end up paying for a portion of the meeting rooms by booking a room and paying the registration fee.
- Our registration will include 3 meals: Friday evening banquet, Saturday breakfast, and Saturday’s noon meal. Registration cost will be announced no later than July 1st when Registration opens on MSBA’s newly revised website (under construction). For those arriving early for the Pre-Conference activities and driving to the conference on Friday morning there will be a Friday noon Box-Lunch option with 3 different menu options to purchase when you sign up and Register for the conference. There will be a vegetarian option with each meal offered during the conference.
- 9:00 – 11:30 AM Pre-Conference Microscope Training with Dr. Tom Coudron from the USDA ARS Laboratory in Columbia MO. Due to the strong interest and written feedback from our Spring Learning Day we are offering another opportunity to learn more about using a Microscope for analysis of honey bees related issues in a hive. This class will build on what was taught during the Spring Learning Day. For that reason there will be limit of 25 people and preference will be awarded to those who attended the Spring Learning Day. $ Minimal fee to cover Workshop Expenses.
- 10:00 – 11:30 AM Pre-Conference Local Apiary Inspection by Erin MacGregor-Forbes for Winter Survivability. There will be a limit of 25 people per group for the first 50 people who register and want to attend this event. There will be 2 groups. The 2nd group will begin at 10:45 AM. The hives are located at a local CSA farm. There is a building in case of inclement weather. Participants will receive a map and will be responsible to drive to and from this activity.
- Conference Registration and Check-In will open Friday morning. Time TBD
- The Vendor Hall will open Friday morning, New this year, local Southwest MO clubs will each have a booth to represent their Club and advertise their 2018 Beginning Beekeeping Classes.
- Saturday Morning Erin MacGregor-Forbes will present her SARE Research results on “A Comparison of Honey Bee Colony Strength and Survivability between Nucleus and Package Started Colonies” in 2 Sessions starting at 9 AM
- Prior to the Friday evening banquet we’re working on a Wine-and-Honey Tasting evening, that will be open to the public from 5 – 6:30 p.m. There will be an additional cost TBD.
Conference Agenda Summary:
12:30 – 4:30 pm. Advanced Beekeeper Workshops
12:30 – 4:30 pm So You Wanna be a Beekeeper Classes Breakout Room
5:00 – 6:30 pm Wine-and-Honey Tasting Event
7:00 pm Ambassador Banquet and Auction
7:30 – 8:30 am Breakfast
9:00 – 11:30 am Advanced Beekeeper Workshops
12:00 – 12:45 pm Lunch
1:00 – 3:30 pm Advanced Beekeeper Workshops