Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador Guidelines
The Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador shall act as an official spokesperson for the Missouri State Beekeepers Association, a non-profit organization serving Missouri beekeepers, farmers, gardeners, and consumers for over a century. The Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador is a year-round public relations, promotion, and advertising representative of the Missouri honey and beekeeping industry whether/his it is a single hive hobbyist, commercial producer or pollinator. She/he will promote the beekeeping industry, honey, honey bee products, the importance of honey bee pollination, and of course educate the public about the fascinating facts of our State Insect: The honey bee.
While the Missouri State Beekeepers Association benefits through the various activities of the Honey Youth Ambassador Program, the Youth Ambassador may appreciate the following:
- $500 scholarship.
- Opportunity to increase the scholarship through participation in sanctioned events.
- Expand knowledge about bees and bee products.
- Improve writing skills through submissions for the newsletter and news releases.
- Spokesperson for a non-profit organization based in agricultural industry.
- Potential to develop lasting personal and professional relationships.
- Develop poise and confidence through public speaking and appearances.
- Travel with compensation to sanctioned events.
- Opportunity to advance to American Honey Youth Ambassador Program through the American Beekeeping Federation.
- Become part of the history of Missouri State Beekeepers Association.
WHO MAY COMPETE?
Any young lady/man who has reached her/his 18th birthday by January 1 (of representation year) and not passed her/his 24th birthday by January 1 (of representation year) and who is properly sponsored. Promotion is the goal of the Youth Ambassador program and if a candidate qualifies, she/he may compete more than once. The Missouri Honey Princess/Prince shall abide by the same rules. If for any reason the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador is unable to complete her/his reign as Youth Ambassador, The Missouri Honey Princess/Prince may, if desired, be promoted to the Honey Youth Ambassador Position. The Princess/Prince may compete to become the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador the following year with the same guidelines as the Youth Ambassador.
Any local honey producing or beekeeping organization, any honey producer, any honey packer, or interested organization may sponsor a candidate.
- Sponsor shall provide a Jetter of recommendation for the contestant.
- Sponsor shall make sure their contestant has basic beekeeping knowledge and is prepared to be the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador.
- Submit a completed application package, including sponsor’s letter, no later than August 31st.
- Prepare an essay (limited to no more than one page typewritten) on honey or honey promotion ideas and present it to the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador Committee.
- Prepare a separate brief typewritten autobiography.
- Submit wallet sized photo(s) to be used by the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador Committee.
- Prepare to give a 3 minute presentation on honey or beekeeping for the contest finals. (this could be the essay on honey)
- Candidate is expected to attend the contest interview.
- She/he must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Contestant may not hold any other title that would interfere with the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador program.
- Mail completed application to Honey Youth Ambassador Chairperson:
Amy Giffen, P.O. Box 541, Marshall, MO 65340 or email@example.com.
MISSOURI STATE BEEKEEPERS ASSOCIATION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a key contact person; the Missouri State Honey Youth Ambassador Chairperson.
- Provide a panel of not less than three persons to judge the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador contest.
- Furnish the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador with a tiara/crown/crown and banner designating the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador’s title and year.
- Provide financial support for the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador’s public appearances as approved by the association.
- Select a State Honey Youth Ambassador Committee who will assist in scheduling promotions, providing expectations and help with any needed training for the reigning Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador.
- Sponsor the successful Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador in the American Honey Youth Ambassador contest, including her/his expenses, if applicable.
- All events to be scheduled through the Honey Youth Ambassador Chairperson.
Candidates will be judged on general communication skills, public speaking ability, extemporaneous presentation, knowledge of subject, poise and confidence in dealing with people, and/or any other/his criteria outlined by the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador Committee.
MISSOURI HONEY YOUTH AMBASSADOR REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Professional attire is required for all events of the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador. The successful candidate will be dressed in clothes appropriate for the occasion; she/he will wear her/his tiara/crown/crown and banner at all promotional events.
- The successful candidate must conduct her/himself professionally throughout her/his reign and must abide by the rules set forth by the Missouri Honey Youth Ambassador Committee.
- The successful candidate must attend the spring and fall state conference and four days at the Missouri State Fair to assist at the Missouri State Beekeepers Association’s booth. In addition to the above required events, there may be other promotional activities where the Youth Ambassador’s presence is requested based on her/his availability.
- The successful candidate must prepare a Youth Ambassador’s brochure including recipes within 30 days of receiving her/his tiara/crown and banner. Guidance to be provided by the Youth Ambassador Committee.
- The successful candidate will maintain a scrapbook of Honey Youth Ambassador activities.
- The successful candidate must prepare and submit, to the Youth Ambassador Chairperson, a bi-monthly report for the Missouri State Beekeepers Association’s newsletter.
- The successful candidate must present a monthly itemized statement with receipts of all previously approved expenditures to the Honey Youth Ambassador Chairperson, i.e. Transportation to and from functions representing the Missouri State Beekeepers Association, stationery, postage, scrapbook expense, food and lodging following participation in sanctioned activities representing the Missouri State Beekeepers.
- The successful candidate must be single and remain so for one year following her/his coronation. If she/he marries, she/he forfeits her/his title, responsibility, and benefits, i.e. scholarship, etc.
- The successful candidate’s reign will begin with coronation at the fall conference and will continue through the following fall conference.
- The successful candidate will receive her/his scholarship at the conclusion of her/his reign.
FOR FURTHER/HIS INFORMATION:
Contact Missouri State Beekeepers Association, Honey Youth Ambassador Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org